This Constitutional Law, in accordance with the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, shall determine the procedure for the appointment, preparation and conduct of a republican referendum.
The notion of an all-nation referendum
1. Republican referendum means an all-nation voting on the drafts of the Constitution, constitutional laws, laws and decisions on other most important issues of state life of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2. Referendum shall be held on the entire territory of the Republic.
The subject-matter of an all-nation referendum
The subject of a referendum may be:
1) adoption of the Constitution, constitutional laws, laws of the Republic, amendments and additions to them;
2) resolution of other most important issues of state life of the Republic.
Issues that may not be the subject of an all-nation referendum
Questions may not be the subject of a referendum:
1) which may entail the violation of constitutional rights and freedoms of man and citizen;
2) changes in the independence of the state, the unitary and territorial integrity of the Republic, the form of its government, the fundamental principles of the activity of the Republic
3) the administrative-territorial structure and boundaries of the Republic
4) justice, defence, national security and protection of public order
5) budgetary and fiscal policies
6) amnesties and pardons;
7) appointment and election to and removal from office of persons falling within the competence of the President, the Chambers of Parliament and the Government of the Republic
8) fulfillment of obligations arising from international treaties of the Republic.
Principles of conducting a republican referendum
The conduct of a referendum shall be based on the principles of:
1) the voluntary participation in a referendum and the free expression of the will of citizens;
2) the universal, equal and direct right of citizens to participate in a referendum by secret ballot;
In L.N. Gumilyov ENU, at the Faculty of «Architecture and Construction» among the students of the Department of «Architecture» was presented information about the national referendum on amendments and changes to the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan.